Apache CouchDB is open source database software which has a document-oriented NoSQL architecture. Install and use our CouchDB monitoring tool and get detailed insights into database activity and health.
This document details how to configure the CouchDB plugin and the monitoring metrics for providing in-depth visibility into the performance, availability, and usage stats of CouchDB servers.
CouchDB performance monitoring metrics:
Take informed troubleshooting decisions by keeping track of critical CouchDB metrics including:
Authentication cache hits/misses
The total number of times authentication data requested by a component/application was found/not found in the cache memory.
The total number of databases in the CouchDB server that were found to be open.
The total number of bulk requests that has been recieved by a CouchDB database from a component/application.
Total number of HTTP requests a database has recieved.
Total number of times a document was read from a database.
Total number of times changes were made to a database.
Total number of views read in a database.
Total number of HTTP POST, GET, COPY, HEAD, MOVE and PUT requests recieved by a database.
Open OS files
Number of file descriptors a CouchDB database has opened.
- Ensure CouchDB is installed in the server and it should be up and running
- This plugin uses '/_stats' url to fetch the performance metrics
- By default it is configured during the installation of CouchDB itself. If not you will have to configure it
CouchDB plugin installation:
- Create a directory with the name "couchdb", under Site24x7 Linux Agent plugin directory - /opt/site24x7/monagent/plugins/couchdb
- Download the file "couchdb.py" from our GitHub repository and place it under the "couchdb" directory
- Commands to perform the above step:
cd /opt/site24x7/monagent/plugins/mkdir couchdbcd couchdbwget https://raw.githubusercontent.com/site24x7/plugins/master/couchdb/couchdb.py
- Once the plugin file is downloaded, the agent will mark it up in the next data collection and you can view it in Site24x7 client
CouchDB plugin configuration:
- By default CouchDB plugin uses the status url 'http://127.0.0.1:5894/_stats' to fetch the performance metrics
- In order to change the monitoring configuration, go to plugins directory and edit the required plugin file
CouchDB plugin file location - /opt/site24x7agent/monagent/plugins/couchdb/couchdb.py
- The default python path given in the plugin script is #!/usr/bin/python. If you wish to provide an alternate python path, replace the existing one preceded by the shebang character "#!".
- Make your changes in the config section (example given below)
#Config Section:COUCHDB_HOST ='127.0.0.1'COUCHDB_PORT ="5984"COUCHDB_STATS_URI="/_stats/"COUCHDB_USERNAME =NONECOUCHDB_PASSWORD =NONE
Monitoring additional metrics:
- To monitor additional metrics, edit the "couchdb.py" file and add the new metrics that need monitoring
- Increment the plugin version value in the file "couchdb.py" to view the newly added metrics ( For e.g. Change the default plugin version from PLUGIN_VERSION = "1" to "PLUGIN_VERSION = "2")
- Stcd plugin - Analyze performance of your etcd servers
- Memcached plugin - Analyze performance of your Memcached server
- Statsd plugin - Optimize Statsd server performance and get comprehensive management reports
- Nagios plugin - Execute thousands of Nagios plugins in Site24x7 without the need of running a Nagios server
- Out-of-the-box plugins - Monitor your entire app stack with our extensive list of integrations
- Create custom plugins - Create custom Linux and Windows plugins and monitor custom attributes