Effective software update management helps overcome security issues, maintain operational efficiency and stability of IT infrastructure. Install this plugin to be instantly notified on software update deployments.
- Packages to be updated
- Security updates
- Our Linux server monitoring agent should be installed in the server where the software updates need to be monitored.
- While adding a plugin, the plugin name and its folder name inside the Site24x7 agent should be identical.
- Ensure you have Python3 or a higher version installed in your server.
- Download and install the latest version of the Site24x7 Linux agent in the server where you plan to run the plugin. If it is installed successfully, you will see a Linux server monitor in the Site24x7 Control Panel. This confirms that the agent is able to communicate with our data center.
- Download the check_updates.py file from our GitHub repository.
wget https://raw.githubusercontent.com/site24x7/plugins/master/check_updates/check_updates.py && sed -i "1s|^.*|#! $(which python3)|" check_updates.py
- By default, the plugin will capture the software update count from the file '/var/lib/update-notifier/updates-available'. If it is different, specify the same in 'FILE_PATH' of 'check_updates.py'
- Create a folder with the name 'check_updates', under the Site24x7 Linux agent plugin directory '/opt/site24x7/monagent/plugins/' and place the 'check_updates.py' file under '/opt/site24x7/monagent/plugins/check_updates/'.
View Data in the Site24x7 Web Client
- Log in to Site24x7 and go to Server > Plugins > click on the name of the plugin monitor.
- You will be able to view the count of software updates to be installed in your Linux servers.